Ecton Village

Parish News


Northants CALC is holding an Elections Q&A on Monday 22 March 2021, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. aimed at prospective candidates who wish to learn more about the role of parish or town councillor, and how to become a candidate for election. The link to register is

Parish Elections May 6th 2021 - Ecton Parish Council needs you!

Good afternoon

I thought it would be helpful to outline the arrangements we’re putting in place over the next few months in terms of the elections that are taking place on 6th May 2021.

Rob Bridge (Chief Executive of North Northamptonshire Council) will be the Returning Officer for the elections to the new North Northamptonshire Council as well as the local Parish and Town Councils. The elections will be delivered collaboratively across the four local authority areas making up the North Northamptonshire area. Each local office within North Northants will administer the election process for the wards/towns/parishes in their area with the process culminating in a centralised count at Kettering Conference Centre. The count for the new North Northamptonshire Council will take place on Friday 7th May 2021 with votes for Towns, Parishes and Neighbourhood Planning Referendums scheduled to be counted on Saturday 8th May 2021.

Anyone intending to stand for election should check the Notice of Election for the area where they intend to stand for details of the times and locations where the nomination papers must be delivered. Copies of the relevant notices will be posted on local noticeboards and on with links also being provided on the sovereign council websites.

Copies of nomination papers may be downloaded from for the Principal Area election or for parish council elections by navigating to the relevant resources section. Paper copies of Nomination papers will also be available from local election offices from 8th March 2021. Please liaise with your local office (contact details below) to make arrangements for delivery/collection. Please note that changes are being made to the subscriber requirements for Principal Area elections.  The number of subscribers required will change to a proposer and seconder only and this has been reflected in the new nomination paper template.


In light of the current Covid 19 situation additional safety measures will be in place to maintain the safety and security of all those involved in the nomination process.  Visitors delivering nomination papers will be asked to maintain social distancing and wear a face covering unless an exemption applies.  Visitors will also be requested to make use of the hand sanitiser gel provided.  Other measures include an informal checking process where nomination papers may be emailed to us for checking before formal submission as well as an appointment system for hand delivery of nomination papers.  Anyone wishing to use the informal checking service should, where possible, ensure that their nomination paper is scanned and emailed as a separate attachment. The email address to send your nomination paper to for informal checking is for the Wellingborough area, this will also be provided on the relevant Notice of Election and prior to that on our websites. We will be able to make informal checks of nomination papers sent electronically from 18th March until 4pm on Wednesday 7th April.  Please note that irrespective of any informal checks undertaken, nomination papers must still be formally submitted by hand during the nomination period which starts on 25th March and closes at 4pm on 8th April 2021.  An appointment system will be in operation for the formal submission of nomination papers. If a candidate or their representative arrives to deliver nomination papers and they do not have an appointment they may be asked to wait whilst we first process the nomination paper of a person who has made an appointment.

Where possible we would encourage you to identify a single person to deliver all nomination papers for a particular party/group to limit the number of people visiting the council offices as the offices may still be closed to members of the public at that time.  However, we recognise that this may not always be possible and that some candidates may wish to deliver their nomination paper personally.

Nomination papers should not be delivered by anyone who is displaying Covid 19 symptoms, has recently tested positive for Covid 19 or who is isolating.  The candidate should identify another person to deliver their nomination paper in these circumstances.

A short video detailing how to complete a nomination paper will be made available on our websites from 15th March 2021 along with a Candidate and Agents presentation.  In addition anyone seeking further guidance about standing as a candidate or wishing to download and print a copy of the nomination paper can do so by visiting the Electoral Commission website at for the Principal Area election and for parish council elections. NCALC is also holding a briefing session via Zoom on 22nd March 2021 at 6.30pm for town and parish candidates.  Please contact NCALC direct for further information.

Other dates that may be of interest are as follows:-

  • The last date for applications to register to vote in time for the elections is by 12 midnight on Monday 19th April 2021. Applications can be made online:
  • The last time for applications, amendments or cancellations of postal votes and amendments or cancellations of proxy votes is 5 pm on Tuesday, 20th April 2021.
  • The last time for new applications to vote by proxy is 5 pm on Tuesday, 27th April 2021.
  • The last time for applications to vote by emergency proxy at this election on grounds of physical incapacity or for work/service reasons is by 5 pm on Thursday, 6th May 2021.  The physical incapacity must have occurred after 5 pm on Tuesday, 27th April 2021.  To apply on the grounds of work/service, the person must have become aware that they cannot go to the polling station in person after 5 pm on Tuesday, 27th April 2021
  • Poll cards will be despatched as soon as practicable after publication of Notice of Election and by no later than 29th March 2021
  • The main issue of postal votes will be despatched between 16th and 20th April 2021

Notice of Election will be published on 25th March 2021.  This is the date that purdah will commence and further guidance will be published with regard to this shortly.

If you should have any queries in connection with the above please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Emma McGinlay

Electoral Services Officer

Borough Council of Wellingborough

Tel: 01933 231585

Thinking of becoming a Parish Councillor but want more information, hopefully, the information below will answer your questions.

What do Parish Councils do?

Parish Councils - also called town councils, neighbourhood councils or community councils in some areas – are responsible for delivering local services.

What do Parish Councillors do?

Parish Councillors make decisions about policies and services, keep an eye on how well things are working and represent local residents.

How do I become a Parish Councillor?

The next parish elections are taking place on 6th May 2021.More information and a nomination form will be available to download shortly.

 On this website you can find out if you are eligible to stand for election and how you can apply.

What's in it for me and my community?

You should consider becoming a parish or town councillor if:

  • You Want To Do Something Positive for Your Community
  • You Want To Spend Your Time Productively
  • You Can Think, Listen and Act Locally

What Parish Councils do

There are over 10, 000 parish councils (some of which are called town, community or neighbourhood councils) representing around 16 million people across England. They form the most local level of government and cover many rural and urban areas. Northamptonshire has 213 parishes with councils, plus 51 parish meetings (which do not hold elections). Together they cover almost all of the county, with the exception of unparished areas in Wellingborough, Kettering, Corby and the centre of Northampton.

Your parish council has an overall responsibility for the well-being of your local neighbourhood. Their work falls into three main categories:

  • representing your local community
  • delivering services to meet local needs
  • striving to improve quality of life in the parish

Your parish council might provide, maintain or contribute to the following services:

  • allotments
  • litter bins
  • bus shelters
  • local illuminations
  • car parks
  • local youth projects
  • community centres
  • parks and open spaces
  • community safety schemes
  • planning
  • community transport schemes
  • public lavatories
  • crime reduction measures
  • street cleaning
  • cycle paths
  • street lighting
  • festivals and celebrations
  • tourism activities
  • leisure facilities
  • traffic calming measures

They will often work with larger councils (district, borough or county) in your area called ‘principal authorities’ and cooperate to ensure the effective delivery of services to the local community.

What councillors do

Parish councillors are elected to represent a geographical area known as a ward or – mainly in smaller councils – the parish, town, community or neighbourhood council area as a whole. They are elected by people who live in the area.

If the parish council is divided into wards an election is held in each ward, the same way elections are held in district or borough wards. If the council doesn’t have wards there is just a single parish council election.

Most parish council elections are on the same cycle as the principal authorities, with elections in 2020, 2025, then 2029 and every four years thereafter.

Councillors have three main areas of work:

  • Decision-making: through attending meetings and committees with other elected members, councillors decide which activities to support, where money should be spent, what services should be delivered and what policies should be implemented
  • Monitoring: councillors make sure that their decisions lead to efficient and effective services by keeping an eye on how well things are working
  • Getting involved locally: as local representatives, councillors have responsibilities towards their constituents and local organisations. This often depends on what the councillor wants to achieve and how much time is available

The day-to-day work of a parish councillor may include:

  • going to meetings of local organisations such as tenants’ associations
  • going to meetings of bodies that affect the wider community, such as the police, the Highways Authority, schools and colleges
  • taking up issues on behalf of members of the public, such as making representations to the principal authorities
  • running a surgery for residents to bring up issues
  • meeting with individual residents in their own homes

Why should I become a councillor?

As a councillor you can become a voice for your community and affect real change. Councillors are community leaders and represent the aspirations of the public that they serve. Parish, town, community and neighbourhood councillors are the most local part of our democratic system and are closest to the public. By standing for your parish council you could make a real difference to your local neighbourhood.

Can I become a parish councillor?

Most people can stand for election, however there are a few rules. You have to be:

  • a British citizen, or a citizen of the Commonwealth or the European Union, and
  • 18 years or older on the day you become nominated for election

You cannot stand for election if you:

  • are the subject of a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order
  • have, within five years before the day of the election, been convicted in the United Kingdom of any offence and have had a prison sentence (whether suspended or not) for a period of over three months without the option of a fine
  • work for the council you want to become a councillor for

There are specific rules around candidacy. The full range of disqualifications for candidates is quite complex and some exceptions may apply. Full details can be found on the website of the National Association of Local Councils or download this link:

Which parish council can I stand for?

You can become a parish councillor for any parish in which you are in the list of electors or during the whole of the preceding twelve months you

  • occupied land as owner or tenant in it, or
  • had a principal place of work there, or
  • resided in or within three miles of it

How much time will I need to spend?

It is possible to spend a lot of time on council work - but most people have jobs, families and hobbies that also demand a lot of time. However, as with most things, the more you put in, the more you (and your community) will get out.

Generally speaking, the larger your community the larger your workload will be. The times of the meetings vary, as do the venues. Parish councils normally meet in the evening. It is important to establish the pattern of meetings and venues to make sure they can accommodate your domestic and/or business arrangements. Most councils meet once a month and many also have committees, in which case you would probably be invited to sit on a committee. These usually meet in between the meetings of the full parish council.

Quite often councillors say that their duties occupy them for about three hours a week. Obviously, there are some councillors who spend more time than this – and some less, but in the main, being a local councillor is an enjoyable way of contributing to your community and helping to make it a better place to live and work.

At Ecton Parish Council it is anticipated you would spend a few hours over a two month period.

How do I become a councillor?

To stand for election, you can

  • contact the parish council directly, or
  • contact the Returning Officer at your borough or district council.

To stand for the May 2021 Elections, you will need to complete a nomination form which will be available to download shortly.

Application process

Now you're ready to take the next step to becoming a councillor.


Clerk here to download a Candidate Nomination pack. This will be available for download shortly.

A prospective candidate must deliver to the Returning Officer for the election a valid nomination paper. This form is obtained as described in the previous section. The candidate's surname, forenames, residence and description (if required) must be entered and his or her number and prefix letter from the current register of electors. The Returning Officer has a copy of this register, and the clerk of the local council normally has one. The nomination paper must also contain similar particulars of a proposer and a seconder. They must be electors for the area for which the candidate seeks election (i.e. the parish, community or town or the ward if it is divided into wards): they must sign it.

Election timetable

Click here to download the official election timetable This will be avaialbe shortly.

Ordinary elections usually coincide with the election year of the principal council and must be held on the same day. The interval between elections is normally 4 years,  align with the Local Authority elections.

Find out more

To find out more about the application process and whether you are eligible to stand for election contact your principal council elections office.

Frequently Asked Questions

What title will I have?

An elected member of a parish council is called a councillor, abbreviated to Cllr. Conventionally you will be known as, for example, “Cllr. Bob Smith” or “Cllr. Mrs Jane Smith”. You can use your title whenever you act, or wish to give the impression of acting, for the parish council

What happens if I stand but am not elected?

As in any contested democratic process there is a risk of not winning. If the number of persons nominated is less than or equal to the number of places available then the election is uncontested and you are automatically elected. If there are more candidates than places and you don’t win enough votes on Election Day then you will have lost the election. Some people may feel awkward about this, particularly as the people voting are quite often your friends, neighbours and community associates, however there is no shame in losing a contested election – it’s part and parcel of public life and there will be other opportunities to get on to the council, either at the next election or if a vacancy crops up. Don’t let the fear of losing stop you from putting yourself forward. Just think of what you could achieve if you knew you couldn’t fail!

What support is there for newly elected councillors?

Being a councillor is a respected and valued role in a community. There is lots of support available to councillors, from training and development courses run by the local County Association of Local Councils, to representation by the National Association of Local Councils, based in London. Councillors would in the first instance seek assistance from fellow colleagues and the council’s clerk (chief officer). Some councils have developed one-to-one mentoring schemes or buddy systems, which are a great way to make sure that new councillors understand their role. The support and continuous professional development of councillors is open-ended these days.

Can I get out of it if it’s not for me?

Yes. You can withdraw your nomination if you decide before the election that you don’t want to go through with it (deadline for withdrawal is 4pm on Wednesday 8 April 2020). If you are elected and decide subsequently that council life is not for you then you are free to resign at any time. However, be warned that when you start to make a real difference to community life and see the benefits that being a councillor can bring to you and your community it may just suck you in for life!

Am I personally liable for anything as a councillor?

Generally speaking, no. The council is a corporate body, which means that in law it has an identity separate to that of its members. Anything that the council decides to do by resolution is the action of the corporate body and any land, property, leases and other contracts are in the name of the council. The exception would be in extreme cases of negligence where an individual councillor has acted contrary to council policy, which may lead to personal liability.

Will my employer support me if I need time off for council business in work time?

Yes. You are allowed reasonable time off to go to meetings or to carry out your duties. The time must be agreed with your employer beforehand and your employer can refuse your request if it is unreasonable. A specific amount of time off is not laid down in law. Your employer doesn't have to pay you while you take time off for public duties, although many do. Your employment contract will normally say whether you are paid for this time off.

Does it take up a lot of time?

It can, but it doesn’t have to. You will be required to attend meetings of the full council (monthly or bi-monthly) which are normally 2 to 3 hours long. You should be well-prepared for meetings and preparation can sometimes take longer than the meeting itself! If you are really getting your teeth in to council business you may put yourself forward for any committees that the council has (e.g. finance or planning committees), which will involve further meetings and preparation. Quite often councillors say that their duties occupy them for about three hours a week.

Ecton Parish Council meetings are held bi-monthly on the 4th Tuesday of the month from 7.30pm for approx. 2hours.