Ecton Village

Bell Ringing

When do we ring?

On Sundays we ring for 30 minutes before each service, starting at 9:30am. We practise on Wednesday evenings, between 7:00pm and 8:30pm.

The Bells

Detailed information about the bells of Ecton.
  Date Cast By Weight Diameter Inscription
Treble 1749 Henry Bagley III 4cwt 3qts 11lb 29 ¾" GULIEL: FREMAN AR: IN HAC PAROCHIA
2nd 1612 J Keane 6cwt 2qts 26lb 32 ¾" God Save our King
3rd 1612 Hugh Watts 7cwt 2qts 9lb 34 ½" ABCDEFGHIKLMNO
4th 1612 Hugh Watts 11cwt 2qts 11lb 35 ¾" FeyRE GOD
5th 1622 Hugh Watts 11cwt 3qts 4lb 40 ¾" IHS NAZARENVS REX:IDVEORVM
Tenor 1634 Hugh Watts 15cwt 2qts 20lb 45" IHS ANSARENUS REX IUDEO-RUM

History of the Bells

The bells themselves date from 1612 to 1749. Until 1749 there had been only five but in that year George Freeman, a native of the village, gave a new treble and this gave the ringers of Ecton a chance to show their worth. A painted plaster panel in the ringing chamber records the names and heights of those who on 2nd April 1756 ‘rang the First Six Bell peal 720 upon 6 bells of the Parish’. They are all there, dressed in knee-breeches, stockings and buckled shoes, the tower master, presumably, distinguished by his frilled shirt, white stockings and the bunch of keys at his waist. Their bells are raised and their clay pipes and no doubt much needed liquid refreshment lie at hand on a bench. The feat was repeated when George III came to the throne in 1760 and then not again, it is believed, until 1926.